Council Elections

2019 Elections

The Town of Claremont elections are held every two years on the third Saturday in October, the next to be held on Saturday 19 October 2019.  The Mayor and Councillors are elected for four year terms, with half of the Councillor’s terms concluding at each biennial election.

The following information is relevant to the 2019 election.
  • 30 August 2019 - Close of enrolments
  • 5 September 2019 - Nominations Open
  • 12 September 2019 (4pm) - Nominations Close
  • 25 September 2019 - Election packages lodged with Australia Post for delivery
  • 19 October 2019 (8am to 6pm) - Lodgement of postal votes and Election count
For information on how to enrol or to nominate as local government candidate please contact:

Returning Officer
Robin Parsons
M: 0413 056 929

The Town’s Returning Officer is appointed by the WA Electoral Commission and is responsible for the conduct and processes associated with the Town of Claremont local government elections. The Returning Officer is able to provide further information for prospective candidates including guides and forms for candidates and scrutineers.
Town’s Returning Officer.

How to Vote

The Town's elections are conducted as postal elections by the Western Australian Electoral Commission. The Commission appoints a Returning Officer who oversees the elections, including taking candidate nominations and supervising the count on election night.

Every person on the electoral roll will be issued a ballot by mail.  All electors are required to complete the ballot and return either by mail before the election day or they can be handed into the Council Administration Office at 308 Stirling Highway Claremont, by 6.00pm on election day.

The count commences at 6.00pm on election day and the results are usually available later that night.         

Nomination submissions

Nominations are to be finalised and lodged in person with the Town’s Returning Officer, who is responsible for the local government elections once the nomination period opens. An effective nomination consists of the following:
  • A completed nomination form
  • A profile of the candidate, prepared in accordance with the regulations
  • A nomination deposit of $80.00 in the form of cash, bank cheque or money order, and
  • A photograph (optional).
Prior to nominating, potential candidates should read the Western Australian Electoral Commission’s Guide for Candidates (Postal Elections) and be familiar with eligibility, nomination and disclosure of gifts requirements.  Candidates are encouraged to make an appointment with the Town’s Returning Officer well before nominations close to discuss nominations. The Town’s Returning Officer will be available at the Town of Claremont  Administration Centre for appointments during the nomination period.

2019 Candidates

East Ward - Two vacancies

Shelley Hatton
Peter Telford
Richard Watson
Kate Main

South Ward - One vacancy

Chris Mews​
Annette Suann

West Ward Two vacancies
With two nominations received for the two vacancies in the West Ward,  both candidates have been elected unopposed.

Peter Edwards
Peter Browne

Voter information for Local Government Elections

Information for individuals and businesses

For individuals who are applying in their own names either as owners or occupiers, or individuals who are being nominated by a corporate body as owner nominees or occupier nominees, please complete the Enrolment eligibility claim form.

Electoral roll

The Town’s electoral roll is comprised of two parts; the resident’s roll and the non-residents owners and occupiers roll. Combining these two rolls produces the consolidated roll.

Residents roll

People who reside in the Town (irrespective of whether they own the property or are tenants) and who are on the state electoral roll for that property will be on the residents roll automatically and can vote in the Town of Claremont local government election. No separate enrolment for the Town is necessary.

Enquiries about the residents roll should be directed to the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06 or check your enrolment eligibility status through the Western Australian Electoral Commission website.

Non-resident owners and occupiers roll

The non-resident owners and occupiers roll is maintained by the Town. It includes individuals who own (but do not reside in) rateable property in the Town or who occupy rateable property in the Town. It also includes individuals nominated by companies, businesses or corporate bodies that own or occupy rateable property in the Town. Each person applying to go onto this roll must be on the state or commonwealth electoral roll for a property outside the Town’s district.
Any person who is not an Australian citizen (and thus not eligible to be on the state or commonwealth electoral roll) may still be able to vote in local government elections if the person appeared on the Town’s 1996 electoral roll, and has owned or occupied rateable property within the ward continuously since at least March 1996.
Individuals or corporate bodies may only be on the roll or represented on the roll in one capacity, that is, either as owners or occupiers. Where both capacities are available to an individual or a body corporate, the owner category would normally be chosen because of the longer term on the roll.

Non-resident owner’s eligibility

  • Each rateable property may claim up to two owners or owner nominees on the roll
  • If a property is owned by an individual person, that person may be eligible to enrol
  • An individual may only enrol once regardless of the number of properties owned within the Town
  • An owner remains on the roll until the property is sold or in the case of owner nominees, either until the property is sold or the corporate body changes its nominees.

Joint owner’s eligibility

  • Where a rateable property is owned by more than two persons, two of the owners may be eligible to enrol with the written agreement of a majority of the owners
  • Where a property is owned by a corporate body, the corporate body may nominate one or two people to go onto the roll
  • A corporate body may only nominate two people onto the roll regardless of the number of properties owned in the Town
  • The nominees remain on the roll until either the property is sold or the corporate body changes its nominees.

Occupier eligibility

  • Each rateable property that is occupied may claim up to two occupiers or occupier nominees on the roll
  • The occupier must have a right of continuous occupation of that property for at least three months from the date of application
  • The applicant is not required to provide proof of this in the first instance but he Town may request proof of continuous occupation
  • Where an individual occupies the property he or she may be eligible to enrol
  • Where two or more individuals jointly occupy a property up to two of them may be eligible to enrol (with the written agreement of a majority where there are three or more co-occupiers)
  • A corporate body that occupies property may nominate up to two people to go onto the roll
  • An individual may only enrol once regardless of the number of properties occupied and a corporate body may only nominate two people regardless of the number of properties occupied in the Town of Claremont
  • Occupiers and occupier nominees remain on the roll for a period of two elections after their enrolment is accepted and are then taken off the roll six months after the second election. They must then re-enrol if they wish to continue as electors.

Enrolments for the non-resident owners and occupier roll

  • Enrolment of non-resident owners or occupiers is not automatic
  • When individuals are applying in their own names either as owners or occupiers, the enrolment eligibility claim form is used
  • When individuals are being nominated by a corporate body as owner nominees or occupier nominees, the Application to register a corporate nominee form should be used because it allows for detail to be provided about the corporate body involved
  • Enrolment claims can be lodged at any time however, enrolments for any particular election close 50 days before election day.
For further information about the non-resident owners and occupiers roll call 9285 4300.

Election Signage

An election sign is a sign which encourages a person to vote for a particular political candidate, political party, referenda or matter relating to any Federal, State, or Local Government election, however, excludes bumper stickers.

Guidelines for Election Signs

The following is a guide in respect to the placement of election signs:
  • An election sign may be erected on private property, with the approval of the owner prior to the erection of the sign
  • An election sign, no larger than 0.75 square metres in area per property, may be erected on private property with the exemption of a corner  property which may display one sign facing each thoroughfare of the corner
  • Election signs should be erected no more than 28 days prior to the election and should be removed as soon as possible after the election to which it relates
  • Election signs or posters may be erected at the place of an election rally, meeting or polling place as approved by the Returning Officer for the election.


The Town prohibits the erection of election signs in any street or local government property, such as parks or reserves.
For further information please contact the Town on 9285 4300.

Disclosure of Electoral Gifts

Candidates in local government elections must be aware of their legislative obligations in relation to the disclosure of gifts leading up to the local government elections. Part 5A of the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997 requires both candidates and donors to make disclosures in regard to gifts given to candidates during the specified disclosure period, being six months before Election Day.

Electoral gifts

A “gift” means a disposition of property, or the conferral of any financial benefit, made by one person in favour of another. It can include a gift of money, a gift which is non-monetary but of value, a gift in kind or where there is inadequate financial consideration such as the receipt of a discount (where the difference or the discount is worth more than $200.00). A “gift” could also include a financial or other contribution to travel, the provision of a service for no consideration or for inadequate consideration, and a firm promise or agreement to give a gift at some future time. A “gift” does not include a gift by will; a gift from a relative; a gift that does not relate to the candidate’s candidature; or the provision of volunteer labour.

Disclosure of electoral gifts

Both candidates and donors are required to disclose information about any electoral related gift (with a value of $200.00 or more) that is given or promised within the six month period prior to the Election Day. It is essential that candidates be aware of this legislative requirement and should advise donors of their reporting responsibilities.

Disclosure period

Within three days of nomination, any candidate in a local government election will need to disclose any gifts received within the disclosure period. The disclosure period commences six months prior to the Election Day. The disclosure period finishes three days after Election Day (for unsuccessful candidates) and on the start day for financial interest returns for successful candidates.

How a disclosure is made

The disclosure is to be made in the prescribed form and delivered to the Town of Claremont Chief Executive Officer within three days of receiving the gift, once your candidate nomination has been made to the Returning Officer.  Click here to access the Disclosure of Electoral Gifts Form.  

Donors will also need to disclose any gifts made within the relevant period. Information to be supplied includes the name of the candidate, the name and address of the donor, the date the gift was promised or received, the value of the gift and a description of the gift.